Yes, the bed you sleep on can be causing you lower back pain. On average we spend 8 hours a day in our beds. That’s 56 hours a week. A third of our lives.
If you’re experiencing lower back pain, there’s a good chance that your bed has something to do with it.
The good news is that if you’re experience back pain and you think that your bed is contributing towards it, there are some things to do to fix it.
- Look at your mattress. Everyone is different and depending on your preference you may be more suited to a soft, medium, firm or very firm mattress. Sleeping on the wrong type of mattress over a period of time will undoubtedly cause back pain
- Type of bed. Sleeping on a flat, level surface is something we’ve come to accept as the norm, but is it really the best position for our bodies? Adjustable beds provide a number of orthopaedic benefits that boost mobility, increase blood flow and reduce strain on your spine and joints. Check out the Zero Gravity sleeping position for more information.
How do I know if my bed is causing me back pain?
It can be difficult to pinpoint exactly what is causing you to experience back pain, but a good indicator is if you’re struggling the most early in the morning after you’ve woken up. If you’re ever staying in a hotel or a different bed for whatever reason, make a mental note of how you’re feeling after a night’s sleep to compare it to how you feel after sleeping at home.
If you don’t experience the same stiffness, aches or strains then there’s a good chance your bed could be part of the problem.
What mattress is best for lower back pain?
If you’re experiencing lower back pain most people would suggest you sleep on the firmest mattress available, but there are a few other points to consider before making your mind up:
- Spinal support – Does the mattress provide adequate spinal support for your body type? Heavier users will generally need a firmer mattress, but users who are more-slight usually find firmer mattresses too hard.
- Medium-firm is a one-size-fits-all solution – Although it varies on the quality of your mattress and how it’s been taken care of, if your mattress is over 7-10 years old then it’s time for a replacement. The support that your mattress once provided won’t be the same after all of this time. If you’re not sure what type of mattress you need, start by looking at medium-firm mattresses and you won’t go far wrong.
- Don’t forget your pillows – As well as the surface you sleep on, the position you sleep in is also really important.
An adjustable bed could be the answer
Double adjustable beds with independent mattress platforms allow both sleepers to find their ultimate comfort position without disrupting their sleeping partner. Look at the Smart Adjustable Beds from Opera.
Experience the zero-gravity sleeping position and you’ll never want to sleep on a flat, level surface again.
View our full range of adjustable beds or call now to speak to a dedicated advisor who’ll help you choose a bed and mattress that’s perfect for you.
Find out how Opera could help you with your bed needs.
Contact us, or speak to our experts advisors on 0333 222 8584